Clint Schumacher, CRE focuses his litigation practice on eminent domain and government taking litigation and counseling as well as other high-stakes litigation matters. He has been granted the prestigious and exclusive designation of Counselor of Real Estate due to his skill in leading clients through difficult real estate problems.
Clint has represented property owners of all sizes that are being impacted by public projects. Over the last twenty years, Clint has developed a particular expertise in condemnation for highway projects. He is able both to work with the condemning authority to try to minimize impacts and, when that fails, to seek full compensation for the owner. He will often recognize what others miss. His varied client list includes Fortune 500 companies, Wall Street investment firms, national restaurant brands, international hotel chains, individual investors, developers, and families. Before joining Dawson & Sodd, Clint represented regional toll authorities and mass-transit authorities in some of the largest projects in north Texas.
Clint continually seeks to build on his extensive litigation experience by studying and practicing the art of effective advocacy. This dedication to excellence has led him to being named as a Texas Super Lawyer in Eminent Domain by Texas Lawyer magazine (a Thomson Reuters publication) in 2014-22 and to being recognized by D Magazine as one of the top lawyers in Dallas.
Clint is the host of The Eminent Domain Podcast which can be found on ITunes, Stitcher, Spotify, or at its home website: www.eminentdomainpodcast.com. The podcast covers all things eminent domain and reaches listeners across the U.S. and in several foreign countries.
Additionally, Clint is a popular speaker. He is often called upon to speak on the subject of eminent domain to industry professionals, other lawyers and law students around the country. He has also presented at the highly prestigious TEDx Conferences in Flower Mound, Texas in 2019, Abilene Christian University in 2019, and at the leading coaches conference, Glazier Clinics, in 2018. In 2021, Clint released a book on resiliency called Second Wind: Decisions the Resilient Make to Overcome Adversity.
Clint is married to his college sweetheart, Jennifer, and they have three boys. In his spare time, Clint enjoys coaching football and will be entering his 14th season as a coach in the fall of 2022. Clint devotes his Twitter account to various eminent domain, sports, leadership, and team building topics. He can be found at J_Clint.
- Obtained jury verdict for client in a condemnation case for Fortune 500 company against the State of Texas.
- Obtained jury verdict for client in a condemnation case for individual property owner against the State of Texas.
- Obtained jury verdict for individual hotel investor in a condemnation case against the State of Texas.
- Obtained settlement for client in a condemnation case for family trust against the State of Texas.
- Obtained settlement for Wall Street investment firm against the State of Texas in a condemnation case.
- Obtained settlement for local family in case against the State of Texas.
Complex Commercial and Energy Litigation
- Obtained $21.5 million judgment against one of the nation’s largest gas producers.
- Resolution of east Texas lease dispute for an independent oil and gas company against one of the nation’s largest gas producers.
- Defend royalty class action relating to alleged gathering overcharges.
- Obtained settlement of nationwide class action for national professional services firm alleging billing fraud.
- Defended national accounting firm in proceeding alleging auditing malpractice and seeking damages in excess of $100 million relating to services performed for an independent oil and gas exploration company.
- Defended national professional services firm and individual accountants in numerous regulatory matters.
- In re Plains Pipeline, L.P., 618 S.W.3d 780 (Tex. App.—El Paso, 2020)
- Sloan Creek II, LLC v. North Texas Tollway Authority, 472 S.W.3d 906 (Tex. App.—Dallas 2015, pet. denied)
- State of Texas v. Johnson, 444 S.W.2d 62 (Tex. App.—Dallas 2014, pet. denied)
- Coe v. Chesapeake, 695 F.3d 311 (5th Cir. 2012)
- State of Texas v. State Street Bank and Trust Company and Brinker International Payroll Company, L.P., 359 S.W.3d 375 (Tex. App.-Dallas, 2012, no pet.)
- Allodial Limited Partnership v. North Texas Tollway Authority , 176 S.W.3d 680 (Tex. App.–Dallas 2005, pet. denied)
- Dallas Sales Company v. Carlisle Silver Company, Inc., 134 S.W.3d 928 (Tex. App.–Waco 2004, pet. denied)
- Compass Exploration, Inc. v. B-E Drilling Company, 60 S.W.3d 2273 (Tex. App.–Waco 2001, no pet.)
- Partner, Dawson & Sodd, PLLC (commencing 2018)
- Partner, Locke Lord LLP (2004-2018)
- Associate, Locke Lord LLP (1997-2004)
- Intern, Supreme Court of Texas (1997)
Presentations & Publications
- The Infrastructure Boom: Pre-Condemnation Procedures, published in June 2022 issue of Headnotes for the Dallas Bar Association, co-authored with Tyler Milton
- Eminent Domain Update – Top Cases Impacting Water Law, Changing Face of Water Law 2022 (January 24, 2022)
- Invested Not Spent: Quarantine 2020, Christian Parenting, (April 28, 2020)
- Presenter, Surviving the Daily Fistfight: Finding Your Resilience When Every Day Is a Battle, ALI-CLE Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Conference (2020)
- Presenter, The Enigma Wrapped in the Riddle Shrouded in Mystery (Ascertaining Community Damage and Enhancement in Texas), CLE International Eminent Domain Seminar (2019)
- Presenter, The Enigma Wrapped in the Riddle Shrouded in Mystery (Ascertaining Community Damage and Enhancement in Texas), IRWA Chapter 36 Spring Seminar (2019)
- Presenter, Responding to Adversity – E+R=O, TEDx ACU (2019)
- Presenter, Finding Your Second Wind — Resilience in the Face of Adversity, TEDx Flower Mound (2019)
- Presenter, How to Be Prepared When the Government Wants Your Property, Hospitality Law Conference – Houston (2018)
- Presenter, Determining the Whole Property, IRWA Chapter 36 Spring Seminar (2018)
- Presenter, Determining the Whole Property, CLE International Eminent Domain Seminar – Texas Superconference (2018)
- Presenter, Youth and Middle School Concepts, Glazier DFW Football Clinic (2018)
- Presenter, Special Use Properties, CLE International Eminent Domain Seminar (2017)
- Presenter, Design-Build Highway Projects, CLE International Eminent Domain Seminar (2016)
- Presenter, Financial Distress in the Energy Sector: Managing Exposure and Leveraging Opportunities (2016)
- Presenter, Six Keys to Effective Direct Examination, CLE International Eminent Domain Seminar (2014)
- Presenter, Conflicts of Interest in Eminent Domain Cases, CLE International Eminent Domain Seminar (2013)
- When is a Deal a Deal, the Story of Coe v. Chesapeake, (co-presented with Scott Hastings) to the Tarrant County Bar Association Energy Section (October 2012) and the Dallas Bar Association Energy Section (November 2012)
- Presenter, “Pre-Trial Motions: Persuasion, Positioning, and Preservation of Error,” CLE International Eminent Domain Seminar (2012)
- Presenter, “Use of Voir Dire in the Eminent Domain Case,” CLE International Eminent Domain Seminar (2011)
- Quoted, “Convention hotel has a sliver of a real estate problem,” WFAA.com (June 14, 2011)
- Presenter, “The Business of Law,” Washington University School of Law Intersession Lectures (2008-2011)
- Presenter, “Avoiding Ten Common Mistakes,” CLE International Eminent Domain Seminar (2010)
- Presenter, “Communicating to a Sound Bite Society,” Center for American and International Law Planning, Zoning, and Eminent Domain Seminar (2009)
- Presenter, “Presenting Your Case with Demonstrative Evidence,” Center for American and International Law Planning, Zoning, and Eminent Domain Seminar (2008)
- Presenter, “The Brave New World of Eminent Domain After New London v. Kelo,” Dallas Council of Real Estate Women (2006)
- Co-Author with Mike Moore, “The Duty to Disclose in Settlement Negotiations,” Settlement Agreements in Disputes, Chapter 3
- University of Texas School of Law, Juris Doctorate, 1997
- Abilene Christian University, BBA, Accounting, 1994
Admitted to Practice
- All Texas State and Federal Courts
- All Oklahoma State Courts
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Court of Federal Claims
Professional and Community Involvement
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Counselors of Real Estate
- Member, The Branch Church, Farmers Branch, Texas
- Football Coach, Trinity Christian Academy (2016 – present)
- Football Coach, Dallas Bills (2009-17)
- Member, Texas State High School Coaches Association
- Member, American Football Coaches Association
- Presenter, TEDx, Flower Mound (2019)
- Presenter, TEDx, ACU (2019)
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation (2015-23)
- Named, Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters, Eminent Domain (2014-22)
- Named, Best Lawyer in Dallas, D Magazine (2022)
- Named, America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators® (2020-22)
- Named, Rising Star by Texas Lawyer magazine (2011)
- Finalist, Double-Win Coach, Positive Coaching Alliance (2014)
In the Media
Quoted in article in The Norman Transcript — “Dead deal,” attorney says flaws will mean no turnpikes in Norman
Read full article.
Interview with WFAA – ABC Channel 8 concerning the use of condemnation to take land for the Highway 380 bypass project. Read full article.